A check is Eligible if…
- The amount is no more than $2,500 (or multiple checks not exceeding this limit). There are no minimum dollar restrictions.
- It was received in Lawrence County, deposited in a bank in exchange for goods or services and was presumed “good” at the time of acceptance.
- A “Courtesy Notice” was sent to check writer allowing 10 days to make check good.
- A photo I.D. (driver’s license, military I.D., or state identification card) was recorded at the time of the transaction
A check is Ineligible if…
- It is post-dated.
- Both parties knew there were insufficient funds at the time of transaction.
- Is a two-party, stop payment, credit card, or payroll check.
- The identity of the check writer is unknown.
- There is no amount, date, or signature on the check.
- It has not been processed by a bank.
Checks ineligible for the Lawrence County District Attorney Bad Check
Restitution Program may be pursued through your local District Judge’s Office.